Prep 20 mins
Cook 35 mins
These elegantly filled tomatoes are perfect for any occasion, whether they are used for a family supper or as an appetizer for a dinner party. Ideal served with a fresh, crisp salad. Taken from "The Best Ever Low Fat" cookbook.
- 4 large tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons fresh basil, chopped
- 4 teaspoons olive oil
- 10 ounces white mushrooms, chopped very finely
- 1 small onion, chopped very finely
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 cup vegetable stock or 1 cup broth
- 1 tablespoon parmesan cheese, freshly grated
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Slice a "lid" from the top of each tomato and set aside.
- Using a teaspoon, carefully scoop out the flesh from the tomato shells and chop the flesh.
- Place tomato flesh in a small bowl and add 1 tsp of the chopped fresh basil.
- Invert tomato shells on paper towels and drain.
- Heat 3 tsp of the olive oil in a skillet.
- Add the mushrooms, onion, garlic, parlsey and remaining basil, then season to taste with pepper.
- cover and cook over low heat for 2 minutes, then remove the lid and cook, stirring occasionally, for an additional 8-10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, bring the stock to a boil and cook until reduced by three-quarters. Stir in the tomato mixture and cook for an additional 3-4 minutes, or until thickened.
- Press the mixture through a strainer with a wooden spoon and stir it into the mushroom mixture.
- Stir in the parmesan cheese.
- Stand the tomatoes, right way up, in an ovenproof dish and season the insides with salt.
- Divide the filling mixture and fill each tomato with filling, replacing the "lids" when full.
- Brush with remaining olive oil and bake in the preheated oven for 15 minutes or until tender and cooked through.
- Serve warm.