Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
This is a recipe my mom has used for years - it's quite good actually!
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 cup milk
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup cracker crumb
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 onion, chopped fine
- 1 can cream of mushroom soup or 1 can cream of onion soup
- Mix well and shape in a loaf.
- Let it sit in the refrigerator for at least 8 hours or overnight.
- Slice in pieces and fry until brown.
- Put slices in layers in a roasting pan spread cream of mushroom soup over the top making sure to cover each piece.
- Bake 1 hour at 325 degrees.
My family always called this Mock Dhicken Fried Steak. Except for the onion it is the same. It is such a quick dish to fix. When my children were growing up I could fix this and everyone including the world's pickiest eater ( my daughter) would eat this without fussing. The addition of the onion made it taste even better. Thanks KimmieOH. Bullwinkle.
This was good! It is so inexpensive and easy to make it is perfect for if you are on a tight budget! I used cream of onion soup and will try cream of mushroom next time. It's a great comfort food and reminds me of a recipe my mom used to make :) Thanks for sharing!
This is one of those comfort foods that my mom made and now my family enjoys also! The fact that it is so easy, is a bonus. One shortcut that I use is that I don't let the meat sit in the refrigerator overnight. I shape and cook the patties and then bake it right away. I usually broil the patties but I have already grilled them too - that's a great flavor!