Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr
There are a few similar recipes like this on Zaar, but none as quick and easy and made with only 5 ingredients! Served with either mashed potatoes or noodles and a veggie, this is my DD's favorite meal. I always make it for her when she comes home from college. (Note: for seasonings I always add some freshly ground black pepper and a dash of worcestershire sauce. Since I think the saltines add enough salt, I never put any in.)
- 3 lbs ground beef
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 cup crushed saltine crackers
- 1 cup water
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can condensed cream of mushroom soup
- Mix everything except the soup together, adding whatever seasonings you like. Form into serving sized patties.
- In a skillet, brown the patties on both sides.
- Spray Pam on the bottom of a small roaster pan and place patties into the roaster.
- Spread the cream of mushroom soup over the top of the patties (Do NOT dilute the soup).
- Bake covered at 325 degrees for 1 hour.
- This makes a yummy tasting gravy that goes well with potatoes, noodles, or rice.
This is the same recipe that I have in the Amish cookbook my husband's Amish aunt gave me years ago, and one of my husband's favorites. One summer, his aunt grilled the slices on a charcoal grill first, and that was honestly the absolute best Poor Man's Steak we'd ever had. I'm making this tonight for supper and wishing it wasn't cold and snowy out so we could grill them!
Very good and easy!!! I sauteed the onions first to soften them and added Liquid Smoke, grill seasoning, and a little hot sauce to the meat, served it over white rice cooked in chicken broth. My husband loved it! We will definitely add this to our menu.