1/1 Photo of Poor Man's Shepherd's Pie
I used to call this Mashed Potato Casserole growing up, but ever since I started making it for my husband and others they all seem to recognize it as a version of Shepherd's Pie. Now that I've tried my hand at Shepherd's Pie, I can see the resemblance! So I've renamed this "Poor Man's Shepherd's Pie", as I think it's much simpler, much cheaper, and much easier to make than most Shepherd's Pie recipes. Enjoy!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Preheat Onion to 350 degrees F.
- 2Brown ground beef with onion and garlic, season with salt & pepper to taste, drain.
- 3In a square 9x9 baking dish mix browned ground beef mixture, canned tomatoes, drained canned corn, and tomato soup.
- 4Spread mashed potatoes over the top like frosting.
- 5Cover dish with tin foil and bake for 25 minute.
- 6Take out of the oven and sprinkle with 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese and bake uncovered for an additional 5-10 minutes, until cheese is fully melted.
- 7Allow to cool for at least 5 minutes and then serve. Note: the longer you allow it to sit after baking the more stiff it will become, making it easier to serve.
Browse Our Top Meat Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Poor Man's Shepherd's Pie
Serving Size: 1 (538 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 813.3
- Calories from Fat 260
- Total Fat 28.9 g
- Saturated Fat 13.0 g
- Cholesterol 106.7 mg
- Sodium 567.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 102.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 13.0 g
- Sugars 17.0 g
- Protein 41.5 g