Prep 20 mins
Cook 40 mins
I used to call this Mashed Potato Casserole growing up, but ever since I started making it for my husband and others they all seem to recognize it as a version of Shepherd's Pie. Now that I've tried my hand at Shepherd's Pie, I can see the resemblance! So I've renamed this "Poor Man's Shepherd's Pie", as I think it's much simpler, much cheaper, and much easier to make than most Shepherd's Pie recipes. Enjoy!
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1⁄2 small onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 (15 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 (15 ounce) can corn, drained
- 1 (10 1/2 ounce) can tomato soup
- 4 large potatoes, boiled & mashed
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- salt & pepper
- Preheat Onion to 350 degrees F.
- Brown ground beef with onion and garlic, season with salt & pepper to taste, drain.
- In a square 9x9 baking dish mix browned ground beef mixture, canned tomatoes, drained canned corn, and tomato soup.
- Spread mashed potatoes over the top like frosting.
- Cover dish with tin foil and bake for 25 minute.
- Take out of the oven and sprinkle with 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese and bake uncovered for an additional 5-10 minutes, until cheese is fully melted.
- Allow to cool for at least 5 minutes and then serve. Note: the longer you allow it to sit after baking the more stiff it will become, making it easier to serve.