Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
Pierogies in a pan! This is a wonderful, rich casserole that tastes just like potato and cheese pierogies (without all the fuss!) Nice, hearty comfort food!! Can be served as a main dish with veggies or a salad, or as a side dish.
- 9 -12 lasagna noodles
- 1 1⁄4 cups butter (no substitutes!)
- 4 medium onions, sliced
- 10 -12 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1 dash salt and black pepper
- 1 (1 lb) box Velveeta cheese, cubed
- grated parmesan cheese
- Saute onion in 1 stick butter until tender.
- Cook noodles as directed on box.
- Boil potatoes, then mash.
- Add cubed cheese, salt, pepper, and remaining butter to potatoes and mix until well combined.
- Put layer of noodles in 9x13-inch baking dish.
- Layer 1/3 of sauteed onions over noodles, then 1/3 of potato mixture.
- Repeat layers, ending with potatoes on top.
- Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.
- Bake at 350°F for 30-35 minutes.
Oh this was HEAVENLY and tasted exactly like pierogies! I had been thinking about attempting to make my own pierogies but every recipe I saw seemed sooooo time consuming. Then I saw this one. I made it the night before, put it in the fridge then threw it in the oven for about an hour the next evening. It came out absolutely delicious. I ended up halving the recipe to make a 9" square pan full instead of the huge pan this recipe is for, and it gave me more than enough for the three of us. I also happen to love the potato & onion pierogies better than potato & cheese, so I only used about 1/2 cup (of american cheese because velveeta is so expensive) I also used my mini food processor to make the onions almost a puree and added half of that raw to the mashed potatoes, then sauteed the other half just because I didn't want chunks of onion. Lastly, I threw the raw lasagna noodles in the boiling water along with the potatoes and just used a fork to remove them when they were done. Saved me from having more dishes to wash! I'm sorry this review is so long, but Manda, thank you thank you for such a fantastic, EASY way to enjoy pierogies!
This recipe was delicious. I used egg noodles rather than lasagna noodles, which was a fine substitution. Would definitely make this again - I'd love to try it next time without Velveeta but with some real cheese blend... Thanks for sharing!
This recipe was great! I substitued Onion Powder for the onions, I just sprinkled it over the noodle layers and it was just as YUMMY (I didn't have any around the house). I will take NitaCook's advice and next time cut the recipe in half as this was alot for just 2 people! Thanks.