Prep 2 hrs
Cook 1 hr
Use any cut of chicken you like and even skinless, but I wouldn't go boneless. You can also substitute smoked sausage for the fresh sausage. You need to plan a little bit ahead, but this recipe is very easy and you can put it together, throw it in the oven and forget it for an hour.
- 6 chicken thighs
- 2 Italian sausages
- 1⁄2 cup pineapple, chucks (juice reserved)
- 1⁄2 cup olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves, rough chopped
- 1⁄2 inch fresh ginger, sliced
- 1 tablespoon chili paste
- 3 tablespoons fresh cilantro
- 1 green pepper, sliced into rings
- 1 small onion, sliced into rings
- 1 cup brown rice
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 2 green onions, chopped
- 1⁄2 lemon
- salt and pepper
- For the marinade:.
- Mix together soy sauce, reserved pineapple juice, olive oil, chili paste, garlic and ginger and a couple of tablespoons of chopped cilantro. I don't even skin the ginger. Wash and pat dry chicken and sausage. Sprinkle all sides with salt & pepper. Put everything in a resealable, shake until well coated. Marinate a couple of hours or overnight.
- For the dish:.
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- Remove the meat for the marinade and pat dry. In a dutch oven or any other heavy oven proof pan, heat a couple of tablespoons of olive oil. Brown meat on both side then remove from pan. Take pan off heat, add rice and chicken broth. Layer 1/2 bell pepper and onion over rice. Put chicken on top of that. Slice up sausage into chuncks and place around chicken. Do the same with the pineapple chuncks. Layer the rest of the peppers and onions over the top. Put on the lid and place in the oven for 10 minutes. After that, reduce heat to 350 degrees and cook for another hour.
- Remove from the oven and let rest for 15 minutes (don't remove that lid!).
- Sprinkle with green onions and remaining cilantro. Squeaze the juice of the lemon over the top.
- Serve with a nice fresh salad. Enjoy!