Prep 5 mins
Cook 30 mins
Adapted from Daisy Cooks. On every menu in Spain. Estimated time does not include making the stock if making home-made.
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 6 ounces chorizo sausage, cut in half length-wise and then in 1/4 inch slices (2 links) or 6 ounces andouille sausages (2 links) or 6 ounces any smoked garlic sausage (2 links)
- 12 garlic cloves, sliced
- 6 slices Italian bread (about 1/2 inch thick)
- 6 cups chicken stock (preferably home-made)
- 1 bay leaf
- kosher salt
- 1 -2 teaspoon white vinegar
- 6 eggs
- fresh ground pepper
- Heat oil in a dutch oven over medium heat. Add sausage and cook for 2 or 3 minutes or until oil darkens. Remove sausage into a bowl.
- Stir garlic into oil and reduce heat to low. Cook until garlic is soft. Careful not to burn! Remove garlic and put in bowl with reserved sausage.
- Toast bread in toaster or lay in the oil, turning up heat, until brown and turn to brown other side.
- Return sausage and garlic to pot and pour in the chicken stock. Add the bay leaf and bring to a boil, then reduce heat to a simmer.
- In the meantime while soup is cooking, poach the eggs in simmering salt water adding the vinegar. Cook until whites are done but yellows are still runny.
- Season soup as desired.
- Place a slice of bread in the bottom of a bowl, remove eggs from water with a slotted spoon and place on the slice of bread. Pour in the soup and serve immediately.