Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
My kids and I watched Clara make this recipe on one of her depression cooking YouTube videos. We then tweaked it for our tastes. It's very easy and economical, and surprisingly good for such simple ingredients. Although it takes 25 minutes on the stove top, you only have to stir occasionally, so you can be doing other things in the kitchen while it cooks. The amount of hot dog wieners you add just depends on how meaty you want it, and the size of the wieners. As Clara says, "It's nourishing!" although it's a little high in fat and sodium for every day in our household.
- Prepare the vegetables: Dice the onion. Peel the potatoes and dice into cubes no larger than 1/2 inch.
- Heat the oil in a 12" non-stick skillet over medium heat.
- Add the potatoes and cook for 5 minutes, stirring once.
- Add the onion and cook for another 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the sliced wieners and cook for another 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the tomato sauce, salt, and sugar and stir. Let simmer gently, stirring occasionally, for another 10 minutes or so, until the potatoes are cooked through (the amount of time will depend on how finely you diced them, and how soft you want the potatoes).