Prep 15 mins
Cook 10 mins
Rich in taste and cheap enough to make. This receipe dates back to the 1930's.
- 2 cups rolled oats
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 cup hot water
- 1⁄2 cup shortening, melted and cooled
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Heat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a mixing bowl, combine oats, sugars,flour and salt.
- Combine soda and water;stir into oats mixture along with shortening and vanilla.
- Roll into walnut size balls.
- Bake at 350 for about 10 minutes or until golden brown.
- Remove from the oven and allow to stand 2 minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool.
These are really good. I was very skeptical, but they turned out great. Kept their cookie shape and they taste really good. They remind me of the topping on fruit crisp. Yummy!
These are a confection, not a cookie, like a candy. Nice texture and flavor. DH wants another batch with chips, chocolate and cinnamon, nuts and fruit bits with rasins and dried cranberries. This is too good not to share. I'm taking the last dozen to my next door neighbors. Don't make too big as they stick a bit on the edges.