Prep 15 mins
Cook 0 mins
Make and share this Poor Man's Cooked Frosting recipe from Food.com.
- 1 cup milk
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 1 dash salt
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup margarine
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable shortening (such as Crisco)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- In saucepan, cook milk, flour and salt until thick.
- Cool well.
- In small mixing bowl add sugar, margarine and shortening.
- Beat well with electric mixer.
- Add flour mixture and 1 teaspoon vanilla.
- Beat until it is fluffy and stiff like whipped cream.
Hey I am now proud to say I am a poor (wo)man!!This was fluffy and not too sweet.I vow to never use store-bought frosting again.Thanks for making me a proud poor (wo)man!!!!
This is great it reminds me of old time bakery shop frosting. I used non-fat milk and Butter. Just have to remember to mix the milk and flour before heating to avoid lumps
This is a very rich frosting! It is delicious. I added crushed pineapple after following the recipe and it was marvelous!!!! I got a lot of good compliments.