Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 cups raisins
- 1 cup lard (original recipe calls for lard, don't know if shortening will work)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon allspice
- 1⁄4 teaspoon clove
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon (or to taste)
- Boil together all ingredients.
- Add water just enough water to cover raisins.
- Boil until raisins are tender.
- Add 1 t baking soda and enough Unbleached flour to make a stiff batter.
- Pour batter into 9-inch round cake pan.
- Bake in moderate oven until cake springs back when touched lightly (about 1 hour at 350 degrees F).
- Serve warm or cold with cream, custard sauce or powdered sugar frosting.
- Walnuts may be added to batter just before baking.
I'm going to try this one, it sounds real close. No raisins though. Mom never made it with raisins. Perhaps they were too poor when she started making it to afford raisins. I'm going to use the lard, because some things just don't taste right without it. Thank you so much! Annieb