Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
I originally found this in a Junior League Cookbook from El Paso, Texas. It is called Mantequilla de pobre (Poor man's butter). I have tweaked the original recipe by adding garlic, jalapeño and a can of mild green chilies. People actually devour this - hardly coming up for air! I am frequently asked for this recipe, I am posting it so that I can just send the link! If I remember correctly, I usually end up adding a bit more of the red wine vinegar than is called for here. I think that really makes it! Don't omit the cilantro!!
- 4 tomatoes, finely diced
- 4 avocados, peeled and finely diced
- 2 bunches green onions, thinly sliced
- 2 jalapeno peppers, finely diced
- 1 (4 1/2 ounce) canchopped mild green chilies
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 2 -3 tablespoons minced fresh cilantro
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1⁄3 cup red wine vinegar
- corn tortilla chips
- Mix chopped ingredients together; add salt.
- Add cilantro, oil and vinegar.
- Chill 1 hour.
- Mix again.
- Taste and add a bit more red wine vinegar if you like.
- Serve with chips.