1/1 Photo of Poor Man's Baked Beef in Beer Sauce Belgian Style
This is not a low fat dish, but it is absolutely delicious considering how relatively simple it is to prepare. The slow cooking and the ingredients make the beef come out very tender and with a rich hearty flavor that melts in your mouth. In my opinion this dish is well worth every bit of the work it takes to make it.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 lbs beef, cut to large pieces
- 4 -5 tablespoons flour (enough to fry beef)
- 6 cups onions, chopped coarsely
- 8 carrots, peeled and sliced coarsely
- 6 -8 garlic cloves, peeled and crashed
- 2 1/2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 1/2 tablespoons vinegar
- salt and pepper (to taste)
- 4 tablespoons oil (for frying, more or less as needed)
- 3 (12 ounce) cans beer (light or regular)
- 1Coat beef in flour. Discard any unused flour if any.
- 2Fry floured beef in skillet in medium hot oil on each side until nice and browned.
- 3Remove beef and arrange it evenly across the bottom of a deep metal or glass casserole pan.
- 4Reheat the skillet where there are still pan drippings after frying the beef.
- 5Fry onions until transparent.
- 6Remove onions and distribute over beef in casserole dish.
- 7Slice raw (peeled or unpeeled) carrots and raw garlic cloves rough sliced, over top of the fried beef/ onion in the casserole dish.
- 8In a mixing bowl or container, combine remaining ingredients (sugar, vinegar, salt, pepper and beer).
- 9Pour beer mixture over beef and vegetables in casserole dish.
- 10Bake covered with aluminum foil for 2-3 hours at on medium-low (275 or 300 degrees) until meat is very tender and the other ingredients form a thick, rich sauce around the beef. Slow cooking is what makes this recipe work.
- 11The beef comes out very rich, tender and with an amazing, rich beefy flavor. It is delicious served over buttered noodles with parsley, or it can be accompanied by skillet fried potatoes or even french fries.
Browse Our Top Stew Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Poor Man's Baked Beef in Beer Sauce Belgian Style
Serving Size: 1 (506 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 588.8
- Calories from Fat 156
- Total Fat 17.4 g
- Saturated Fat 4.1 g
- Cholesterol 131.9 mg
- Sodium 198.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 40.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.7 g
- Sugars 15.8 g
- Protein 53.9 g