Recipe by Lori Lee
I got this recipe after going over some very old recipes from my Mother. It was cut out of a Buffalo Evening Newspaper. On the back of the recipe were different infractions that people had done and what their tickets cost them. One person had a unlicensed driving ticket for $10.00.
- 6 slices dry bread
- 1⁄2 cup melted butter
- 4 -6 apples, peeled cored and sliced
- 2⁄3 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1⁄2 cup cold water
Directions See How It's Made
- Spray shallow 1 quart baking dish with nonstick spray.
- Combine sugar, nutmeg, cinnamon.
- Break dry bread into cubes.
- Toss with melted butter.
- Place a third of the cubes in the bottom of baking dish.
- Cover with half the sliced apples.
- Then sprinkle with sugar and spice mix.
- Add another layer of bread cubes, follow with sugar mix.
- Top with remaining bread cubes.
- Pour on top, water and lemon.
- Bake at 350°F for 45 minutes or until apples are soft.
- Serve with cream or milk.
- Better when warm!