Prep 5 mins
Cook 1 hr
I have never been a fan of baked beans until this summer. A neighbor of mine brought some over when I moved into my new apartment and then proceeded to tell me what was in it. I did a test run of the beans with my family to see how they tasted and they were a hit. I made them for the 4th of July and they were a hit! It is a very easy easy recipe and I hope that you and your family enjoys it. I have made this recipe with Bush's original baked beans. I make it with 2 of their cans of baked beans. This can be prepared on the stove or in the crock pot.
- 2 (16 ounce) cans baked beans
- 1⁄4 cup light brown sugar
- 1⁄4 cup onion
- 1⁄8 cup green pepper
- 1⁄4 cup diced pineapple
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 pinch cinnamon
- salt and pepper (you shouldn't need it)
- If using a crock pot all you have to do is put all of your ingredients in your crock pot.
- If you using a can of diced or crushed pineapple I like to add some of the juice into the beans because it makes them a little sweeter.
- If you are shorter on time with your crock pot set it on high in 3 hours or when the pineapple has become more cooked and translucent your beans are done. If you need a little bit longer time because you are going to be at work and need them afterward, I suggest setting your crock pot on low and letting them cook longer. 6 hours should be long enough but if they aren't completely done when after six hours and you need them soon kick your crock pot up to high. This will not burn your beans but stir them and keep an eye on them.
- If you need your beans in a hurry cook them on the stove. In less than an hour you will have sweet hearty beans that will have your home smelling sweet. Once again put all of you ingredients in a bigger pot. Kick up the heat to Medium and let them hang out. Once your beans start to boil slightly kick the temperature down to low. Put a lid on your pot and let the beans simmer until once again your pineapple is cooked through and translucent looking.
- Special Note : If you do not have honey it will not ruin anything. If you don't like a paticular item like onions or green peppers that is ok. The sweetness comes from the pineapple and the light brown sugar. The Cinnamon just add some kind of extra kick. This recipe can easily be halved or cut down for just a family of 4. Enjoy the beans!