Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is my personal recipe I make for when I cook Tex-Mex for family and friends. It is great! I prefer brown rice to white for health reasons but white rice can be used. Brown rice tends to be firmer and harder to get done so with brown rice you want to let it sit longer to absorb the liquid or you will get hard rice.
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon butter, unsalted
- 1⁄2 medium onion, chopped
- 1 medium roma tomato, chopped
- 1 large jalapeno, seeded and chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄2 medium bell pepper, chopped
- 2 cups chicken broth, seasoned with salt to taste
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 cup brown rice, uncooked (white rice can be used)
- 1⁄2 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- Heat oil and butter over medium heat in a 10-12" skillet.
- Add onion, tomato,jalapeno, garlic and bell pepper and saute until vegetables are tender. (do not brown).
- In a sauce pot, heat broth and tomato sauce to boiling and set aside.
- Add rice and saute for 2-3 minutes.
- Pour tomato/broth mixture into rice and bring to boil.
- Cover and reduce heat to low and let cook for 20-30 minutes or until rice has absorbed all the liquid and is tender.
Very nice, DH and I liked this, though it was a tiny bit spicy for DDs taste, she did have a little though. Very tomato-y as well, which I really enjoyed. I have some leftovers for my lunch today, and I must say, the flavours develop nicely overnight! Because I was using bellpepper in an accompanying dish, I chopped a carrot finely and used that instead, adding it with the onion, and I used a whole onion, you can never have too many veggies! I used the brown rice, which worked well, although it took closer to 45 minutes to cook to a desired tenderness, and I did have to add a little more water. This may well just be that we prefer a softer rice. Easy to prepare and delicious, thank you, Poohrona! Made for PAC Fall 09
This is a definite keeper.. I turned to brown rice a long time ago, but it's tough sometimes trying to adapt recipes. The only difference was to omit the green pepper and the jalapeno because I did not have any and this was a last minute dish. I did add some taco seasoning to give it some more flavor since I did not add the veg. I wonder how this would taste with some beans? Will have to give it a try next time!