Prep 30 mins
Cook 35 mins
I have looked and looked for a basic cake recipe with good reviews and have come up empty handed. So to the kitchen I go and this is what I came up with. I do not use cherries and pecans in mine as some do so in my pictures they are absent but included in recipe for those that do like to add either. I experimented ( as I call it) tonight and my mother could only say Mmmmmmm when she tasted it. Now she is trying really hard not to eat the whole cake!
- 1⁄4 cup butter, unsalted
- 3⁄4 cup brown sugar
- 1 (20 ounce) can pineapple, sliced, reserve the juice
- 9 -10 maraschino cherries (optional)
- 1⁄2 cup pecan halves (optional)
- 2 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 3⁄4 cups sugar
- 3⁄4 cup butter, unsalted
- 3 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 1⁄4 cups milk
- Allow eggs to set out until they are at room temperature. Also allow 3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) to soften at room temperature.
- Preheat oven to 350*.
- In 13x9x2 inch pan melt 1/4 cup butter and add brown sugar and 3 tbsp of reserved pineapple juice. Mix well in bottom of pan.
- Place pineapple slices in bottom of pan on sugar mixture. If you are using cherries and pecans, place a cherry in the middle of each pineapple slice and place pecan halves rounded side down around the slices. Set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, mix butter. Add sugar and cream together.
- Add eggs, one at a time mixing well after each. Stir in vanilla. Set aside.
- In another bowl sift together flour, salt and baking powder. Add to sugar and butter mix alternating with milk, mixing well after each just until blended.
- Stir in 2 tbsp reserved pineapple juice and pour over pineapple slices in pan.
- Bake for 35 minutes or when toothpick comes out clean.
- Let cool in pan for 10 minutes.
- Loosen sides with knife and invert on plate or cake board.
- Eat and enjoy!
what a delicious light tasting cake! i got the superstar nod for bringing this simple dessert to a potluck! i'll definitely make this one again and again!
awesome recipe! cake turned out so delicious!! I just added some more brown sugar to the cake mix, and to the bottom of pan... :)