Prep 1 hr
Cook 1 hr 20 mins
Ponzio’s, Cherry Hill, New Jersey
- 1 (3 -5 lb) pie pumpkin
- 10 tablespoons sugar
- 1⁄4 cup nonfat dry milk powder
- 1⁄2 cup corn syrup
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup heavy cream
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 1⁄4 cups milk
- 1 (9 inch) pie shells, partially baked
- Cut the skin off the pumpkin, cut pumpkin in half and clean out the strings and seeds.
- Place the pumpkin in a kettle of boiling water and boil until tender.
- Carefully remove the pumpkin and place in a cheesecloth square, tying it up as tightly as possible.
- Hang overnight over a pan or bowl to collect the draining juices—OR line a colander on top of a bowl, and place the boiled pumpkin in the colander; cover with plastic wrap and let stand overnight.
- Remove the pumpkin from the cheesecloth or colander and puree in a food processor.
- Preheat oven to 375°.
- In a big bowl, combine the pumpkin puree, sugar, dry milk, corn syrup, spices, and salt.
- In another bowl, combine the cream, eggs, and milk, then add to the pumpkin mixture.
- Pour into the pie crust and bake for 1 hour and 10 minutes to 1 hour and 20 minutes (cover crust edges with foil to prevent overbrowning).
- Let pie cool before serving.