Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
This recipe is from the West African Region of Ghana. Adapted from Traditional African Cooking. I bet this would be a tasty vegetarian dish if you omitted the beef.
- 2 lbs butternut squash (diced) or 2 lbs pumpkin (diced)
- 1 medium eggplant (diced)
- 1 lb beef (diced small)
- 1 medium green pepper (finely chopped)
- 1 medium onion (finely chopped)
- 1 large tomatoes (finely chopped)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- salt and pepper (to taste)
- Soak the diced eggplant in salted water. Heat oil in pan and brown the onion.
- Add meat, salt, pepper and coriander.
- Saute for 10 minutes.
- Stir in peppers, tomatoes and squash.
- Drain the eggplant and stir into mixture.
- Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Serve with rice or flat bread.
Thanks for posting this simple recipe. I didn't have eggplant so substituted swede instead, it didn't affect the flavour at all. The sauce came out nice and thick, mine took longer than 20 mins but that's because I chopped the squash into quite chunky cubes. Made for ZWT4.
We enjoyed this steaw,it remainded me alot taste wise of a dish our South African house keeper cooks for herself. I followed the recipe except I left the meat out and added some minced garlic and 1 large potato cut into quarters. This an easy robust and rustic stew. Thank you for sharing Nick's Mom.