Prep 20 mins
Cook 15 mins
These are absolutely delicious batter-fried apple rings dusted with cinnamon sugar! Apparently they're more typically served at breakfast, but I think they're perfect with ice cream or a slice of cheddar cheese for a fall snack.
- 4 large firm apples, peeled,cored and sliced into 1/2 inch rings
- 2⁄3 cup flour
- 1 pinch salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil, plus
- more vegetable oil, for frying
- 1⁄3 cup milk
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- Combine flour and salt into a mixing bowl.
- Gradually whisk in eggs, the tablespoon of vegetable oil, the milk and water.
- Dip several apple slices in the batter; it should be just thick enough to adhere to the apples.
- Pour about an inch of vegetable oil into a large, heavy skillet and heat to 375 degrees F.
- Fry apple rings, 4 or 5 at a time, being careful not to crowd them.
- Fry for a few minutes until the coating is crisp on one side.
- Using tongs, turn rings over, continuing to fry until second side is crisp also.
- Drain on paper towels.
- Mix together sugar and cinnamon and sprinkle on top of apples before serving.