1/1 Photo of Pondicherry Lentils
2 hrs 40 mins
Chef Kate's Note:
In "Tangy Tart Hot & Sweet," Padma Lakshmi (of Top Chef fame) writes that she "named this salad after a town in South India that was heavily influenced by French colonization." She uses black Beluga lentils, which are similar in size to Puy lentils, but the recipe can be made with any lentils; just remember to adjust the cooking time if necessary. This dish improves in flavor the second day.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 cups lentils
- 8 cups water
- 1 fuji apple, cored, diced
- 1 yellow bell pepper, large, diced
- 1 jalapeno pepper, diced (remove seeds and veins if you like it less hot)
- 1 cup flat leaf parsley, leaves, chopped
- 1 1/2 lemons, juice of
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon gingerroot, fresh, minced
- 1 1/2 teaspoons gingerroot, fresh, minced
- 1/4 cup unsweetened coconut, shredded
- 1Pick lentils over for any small stones; rinse and soak 2 hours in tepid water; drain.
- 2Place lentils and water in a large saucepan; heat to a boil.
- 3Reduce heat to low; cover and cook until lentils are tender, but still firm, 20-25 minutes.
- 4Rinse the lentils with cold water; drain.
- 5Mix together the lentils, apple, bell pepper, jalapeno, parsley, lemon juice, olive oil, vinegar and salt in a large bowl; chill until serving time.
- 6Just before serving, heat the sesame oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. Add the ginger and coconut; cook, stirring occasionally, until golden, 3-5 minutes. Sprinkle ginger and coconut over the lentils.
Browse Our Top Lentil Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Pondicherry Lentils
Serving Size: 1 (489 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 233.4
- Calories from Fat 120
- Total Fat 13.3 g
- Saturated Fat 6.4 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 409.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 24.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 8.2 g
- Sugars 5.9 g
- Protein 7.3 g