Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
You'll never want traditional mashed potatoes again!
- 1 lb idaho potato
- 1 tablespoon light margarine, softened
- 1⁄3 cup fat-free half-and-half, warmed
- 1⁄4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh coarse ground black pepper
- 6 tablespoons egg whites
- 1⁄4 cup sharp cheddar cheese, finely grated
- 1 teaspoon flaked sea salt or 1 teaspoon colored sea salt
- Peel potatoes & cut into large chunks. Place in large pot & cover with cold water. Bring to boil & cook 10-15 minutes until tender.
- Drain well and return to pot on stove. Cover and heat over low flame, shaking occasionally, about 3 minutes until potatoes look dry.
- Mash low speed with electric hand mixer. Fold in butter, milk, salt and pepper. Let cool.
- Heat oven to 400°F.
- Spray baking dish (8x8" or similar size) with non-stick cooking spray. Beat 3 T egg whites & stir into potatoes. Add cheese.
- With electric hand mixer, whip remaining 3 T egg whites until stiff peaks form. Gradually fold whipped eggs into potatoes.
- Transfer potatoes to baking dish.
- Bake 30 minutes until top begins to brown.
- Sprinkle with flaked or colored sea salt & serve.