Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
In French this finished dish is said to resemble a woven straw doormat! This recipe comes from the 500 ALL-TIME GREAT RECIPES cookbook, a gift from my partner in the current Cookbook Swap! If desired, 4 smaller potato cakes could be made from this recipe, but the cooking time would need to be adjusted.
- 1 lb baking potato
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 2 tablespoons oil (or less)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground pepper
- Peel potatoes & grate them coarsely, then immediately toss them with melted butter & season with salt & pepper.
- Heat oil in large frying pan, then add potato mixture.
- Press mixture down to form an even layer that covers the pan.
- Cook over moderate heat 7-10 minutes until base is well browned.
- Loosen potato cake by shaking pan or running a thin spatula under it.
- To turn it over, invert a large baking sheet over the frying pan &, holding it tightly against the pan, turn them both over together.
- Lift off frying pan & return it to the heat, adding a little more oil if it looks dry.
- Slide the upside down potato cake into the frying pan again & continue cooking until it is crisp & browned on the second side.
- Remove from frying pan & serve hot!
We made this for dinner tonight to serve along with my other recipe swap choices (Sweet Corn & Tomato Salad With Fresh Cilantro and Carolina Pulled Pork)--a peculiar but delicious combination! This dish is very tasty, crispy and buttery and resembles the American version of "hash browns", which is usually served at breakfast. My version of hash browns includes grated onion, which I think would have enhanced this dish as well. Thank you for sharing this lovely comfort food style dish! (Made for Recipe Swap #29 - June 2009)
This is one of our favourite ways to serve potatoes; when I saw your recipe;I had to go for it. I was lovely served with Truffle Omelette - Omelette Aux Truffes. Thanks for posting! Made for ZWT5. Rita
Wanted a quick little something to serve along side Caramelised Onion & Goats Cheese Omelette, this was perfect! I used 2 medium potatoes and that was the perfect amount for a small side along with a large omelet. Thanks so much for Sharing Syd. Made for ZWT5