Recipe by threeovens
I saw something like this on an episode of "Jacques (Pepin) and Julia (Child) Cooking at Home." You can either bake or boil your potatoes for this recipe.
Top Review by jimjam63
This needed help in the flavor department....maybe because we live in Cali and eat a lot of spicy food. We did forget to add the sliced green onions. But the next time we won't, and will add some more cheese and some bacon to the recipe!
- 2 lbs potatoes, cooked and peeled
- 1 pinch fresh nutmeg
- kosher salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1⁄4 cup sour cream or 1⁄4 cup creme fraiche
- 1⁄4 cup gruyere cheese or 1⁄4 cup swiss cheese, grated
- fresh chives, for garnish
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Coarsely chop/smash potatoes so that they are in small chunks (these are hash browns, after all); season with nutmeg, salt and pepper.
- In an omelet pan or cast iron skillet, heat oil over medium heat.
- Press potatoes into pan in an even layer; cook until underside is browned (potatoes will be fragrant and edges will start to look golden), about 4 to 5 minutes.
- Place potatoes in oven and cook until the top starts to brown, about 10 minutes (you want it to be stiff enough to flip without breaking).
- Carefully flip onto serving dish (or back into pan).
- Spread sour cream over the top, then sprinkle with cheese.
- Set to broil and return to oven to brown the top, 2 minutes.
- Garnish with chives (Jacques stuck them in a bunch, on end, in the center of the dish); serve in wedges.