1/2 Photos of Pommes Matiere (Old Fashioned Hash Browns)
I saw something like this on an episode of "Jacques (Pepin) and Julia (Child) Cooking at Home." You can either bake or boil your potatoes for this recipe.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- 2Coarsely chop/smash potatoes so that they are in small chunks (these are hash browns, after all); season with nutmeg, salt and pepper.
- 3In an omelet pan or cast iron skillet, heat oil over medium heat.
- 4Press potatoes into pan in an even layer; cook until underside is browned (potatoes will be fragrant and edges will start to look golden), about 4 to 5 minutes.
- 5Place potatoes in oven and cook until the top starts to brown, about 10 minutes (you want it to be stiff enough to flip without breaking).
- 6Carefully flip onto serving dish (or back into pan).
- 7Spread sour cream over the top, then sprinkle with cheese.
- 8Set to broil and return to oven to brown the top, 2 minutes.
- 9Garnish with chives (Jacques stuck them in a bunch, on end, in the center of the dish); serve in wedges.
Browse Our Top Potato Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Potato Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Pommes Matiere (Old Fashioned Hash Browns)
Serving Size: 1 (249 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 230.5
- Calories from Fat 47
- Total Fat 5.2 g
- Saturated Fat 3.0 g
- Cholesterol 14.9 mg
- Sodium 47.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 40.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.0 g
- Sugars 2.3 g
- Protein 6.9 g