Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
This recipe is popular in the canton (region) of Vaud, which is located in Romandy, the French-speaking southwestern part of Switzerland. They are rustic and delicious! I modified the recipe because the original called for lard and I didn't see any reason to waste good bacon fat! Also, they want you to boil your potatoes whole, cool, then peel and dice them but I couldn't really see why you need to take the extra steps. Enjoy!
- 2 lbs potatoes, peeled and cut into small cubes
- 8 ounces smoked bacon, cut into 1/4 inch strips
- salt & freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Heat a large frying pan over medium-high heat. Add potatoes and bacon, stirring frequently until potatoes are golden yellow and cooked through, about 20 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Finally, remove the potatoes and bacon from the pan. Place them on a plate lined with paper towels to soak up some of the fat.
- These beautiful country potatoes go well with sausages (Vaud sausage) and sauerkraut.
Tasty and easy. I always worry about bacon or whatever burning when cooking raw potatoes like this, so about 3/4 through I threw in a couple of tablespoons of water and covered the skillet to steam the potatoes to doneness. Then cooked until all was crisp and golden. This actually ended up being dinner as I was too tired to fix anything else, and it satisfied me.
Healthy... no, but so good.
This was excellent Nif. The potatoes and bacon were perfectly cooked. What a great recipe. Simple ingredients, quick and really easy to make. My dh was in heaven. Asked to have this again real soon. I served this with chicken for an awesome meal. Thanks so much for sharing. Made for ZWT7 for Witchin Kitchen.