Prep 0 mins
Cook 2 hrs
Baked potato slices with onions.
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 onions
- 2 lbs potatoes, thinly sliced
- salt and pepper, to taste
- fresh thyme, leaves picked
- 2 cups beef stock
- Preheat the oven to 300 degrees F.
- Melt half the butter with the olive oil in a saute pan, and gently fry the onions until soft and lightly golden, about 15 minutes.
- Spread half the onions in the bottom of a casserole.
- Lay a layer of sliced potatoes on top, season with salt and pepper, and scatter with thyme leaves.
- Build another layer of onions, then a final one of potatoes, and finally pour over the stock.
- Cover the pan with foil, and bake until all the liquid has been absorbed, 2 to 3 hours, removing the foil for the last hour if you like a crisp top.
Very nice recipe that went well with our steak dinner; differant taste from most potatoe cassoroles I've tried with an almost earthy taste if that makes sense. Followed directions exactly right down to uncovering in the last hour of cooking. Pretty simple when using my mandolyn slicer and fresh herbs from the garden. I might try adding some cheese to the top in the last 15 minutes of cooking next time. Made for Spring PAC 2012