- 1 teaspoon kosher salt or 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 1⁄2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3 lbs peeled baking potatoes, cut into 1/8 inch thick slices
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter, melted and divided
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F.
- Combine salt and pepper in a small bowl.
- Melt 2 1/2 T butter in a 10-inch cast iron or ovenproof heavy skillet over medium heat.
- (I've found pan size is important here. Otherwise adjust quantities and cooking times.) Arrange a single layer of potato slices, slightly overlapping, in a circular pattern in pan, sprinkle with 1/4 tsp salt mixture.
- Drizzle 1/2 tsp melted butter over potatoes.
- Repeat layers 5 times, ending with butter; press firmly to pack.
- (I press firmly to pack before adding the last of the butter.) Cover and bake at 450 degrees for 20 minutes.
- Uncover and bake an additional 25 minutes or until potatoes are golden.
- Loosen edges of potatoes with a spatula.
- Place a plate upside down on top of pan, invert potatoes onto plate.
- Sprinkle with parsley, if desired.