Prep 2 mins
Cook 35 mins
Found the clipping in the Paleozic layer littered on my desk--time to get it recorded for posterity! Comes from a magazine, don't ask me which one, though! Anyway make the syrup first, then get right to the wine cooler. Lovely color, brightens up ANY occasion; festive for the holidays, lovely for a bridal or new mom shower. SYRUP makes enough for 20 drinks PREP & COOK time is for making the syrup.
- 1 (16 ounce) bottle pomegranate juice
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
Sparkler (use 1 tablespoon pomegranate simple syrup from above)
- 1⁄2 cup white wine (dry)
- 1 tablespoon orange liqueur (Cointreau)
- ice cube
- lemon wedge, garnish
See below for non-alcoholic versions
- SIMPLE SYRUP:.
- Stir together syrup ingredients in a small saucepan; boil over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally; reduce heat and simmer, stirring occasionally; altogether about 35 minutes until reduced to about 1 1/4 cups syrup.
- Pour syrup into tall glass, add wine and liqueur; stir, add ice cubes and lemon wedge if desired.
- NON-ALCOHOLIC VERSIONS:.
- Instead of wine, use apple juice or apple cider for a totally different kick. A splash of 7-Up (white) soda will cut the wine nicely, too.
It couldn't be easier to make this syrup, and it is so versatile. I have added it to iced tea and to seltzer. Very refreshing! Thanks for sharing this unique idea, Debber! Made for ZWT6.