Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
This is hot! You can reduce the chiles cumin and red pepper flakes to tame it.
- 6 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 inch of peeled ginger, chopped
- 1 tablespoon turmeric
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 24 large shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 6 tablespoons oil
- 2 tablespoons coriander seeds, crushed
- 2 tablespoons dried chili pepper flakes
- 1 ripe tomatoes, chopped
- 4 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- 2 tablespoons cumin seeds
- 3 birds eye chiles, stemmed and chopped
- 2 teaspoons fenugreek seeds
- 3 tablespoons pomegranate seeds
- cilantro (to garnish)
- cooked basmati rice
- Crush 3 cloves of garlic with half the ginger to form a paste.
- Add turmeric, lemon juice, salt and shrimp,cover and marinate in the fridge for 30 minutes.
- Heat 2 tsp oil in a saucepan over medium heat add remaining garlic, stir, add coriander, red pepper, tomato and cook 5 minutes until thickened.
- Add chili powder, remaining ginger and 6 tbsp water, cook until reduced by half.
- Stir in garam masala, set aside.
- Heat remaining oil in a skillet.
- Add cumin seeds and stir.
- Aadd birds eye chiles, shrimp and marinade, and sauce and cook until shrimp turns pink, 8-10 minutes.
- Stir in fenugreek, add pomegranate seeds.
- Garnish with cilantro and serve over white rice.
This is smoking! Hot dish! I didn`t have the birds eye chiles and pomagranate seeds so they where skipped. Lots of flavor but yes hot. It didn`t need the birds eye chiles.
If you like your dinner to make your eyes wet & nose run then this will be right up your alley. It was VERY hot; so hot that the flavors were overshadowed by the burning sensation in my mouth... & I omitted some of the spices! I completely omitted the birds eye chilies & I used 1 1/2 (instead of 2) tbls of chili flakes and only 3 (instead of 4) tsp of chili powder. That being said, this has so much potential. Next time I'll use 1 tbs of pepper flakes & 2 tsp of chili powder. I will be making this dish again- pomegranate and shrimp- what a great combination and very appealing visually.