Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
AWESOME. . .love this stuff. I buy the pomegranate seeds ready to go at Trader Joe's, but if you don't have the luxury of a TJ's nearby, here is a great tip for peeling pomegranate -- score the skin of the fruit and submerge in a bowl of cool water, peel underwater - the seeds will fall to the bottom, the peel and that papery membrane stuff will float to the top and can be skimmed off. Note that cooking time is marinating time. Found on Let's Eat.
- 3 pears, cored and cut into wedges
- 1 pomegranate, seeds only
- 14.79 ml fresh lemon juice
- 29.58 ml light brown sugar
- 1.23 ml ground nutmeg
- 2.46 ml ground cinnamon
- 29.58 ml finely chopped almonds
- 4 sprig fresh mint leaves (to garnish)
- Place the sliced pears and pomegranate seeds into a bowl. Toss with lemon juice to coat.
- Combine the brown sugar, nutmeg, and cinnamon in a small cup or bowl, then mix into the fruit.
- Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour before serving to blend the flavors. Serve in individual dishes, and garnish with a sprinkling of chopped almonds and a sprig of mint.
Healthy, delicious, and love those colors--especially the ruby colored pomegranate! The combination of flavors is very nice. Had ours for dessert tonight and b/c I only had one pear reduced it to 1.25 servings. I did use fewer pomegranate seeds than you suggested. I always use the water technique for harvesting the seeds and then I freeze them in small portions. Thank you January Bride for sharing another keeper.
Delicious, absolutely delicious JanuaryBride. I enjoyed this so much, what flavor, what textures. My dh & I shared this treat for lunch today. I love the addition of the cinnamon and nutmeg, really made the fruit pop. The pear was sweet and refreshing while the pomegrante was sharp, tart and tangy. Thank you so much for sharing this delightful treat. I will be making this again and again. I did omit the nuts as my dh is allergic. :)
4 1/2 stars! I really loved this and I don't like pears that much. DD (toddler) enjoyed it too. I used Bosc pears which I peeled. I deseeded a pomegranate using the same method stated and find it the easiest way to not get juice everywhere. I had to use dark brown sugar but do recommend the light/golden(?) sugar I replaced the nutmeg with allspice as we dont use it because of its intoxicant nature. I doubled the finely chopped almonds of which I used blanched. I loved the taste of the almonds with this and the crutch of the whole salad. I may make this again. Made for Think Pink Tag.