Prep 15 mins
Cook 0 mins
A wonderful salad. The dressing is one of our favorites and we frequently serve it atop lettuce with raspberries, pear, and walnuts. Recipe adapted from a Trader Joe's recipe.
- 1 tablespoon red wine (I always use Port)
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar (I tend to use cherry balsamic)
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar (I tend to use raspberry vinegar)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sugar (may sub Splenda)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄8 teaspoon nutmeg
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1⁄2 tablespoon honey
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried basil (crushed between your fingers)
- 7 ounces arugula (may use half romaine and half arugula)
- 1⁄2 cup pomegranate seeds
- 1 cup thinly sliced pear
- 1⁄2 cup walnut pieces
- 4 tablespoons blue cheese, crumbles
- Place arugula, pomegranate seeds and walnut pieces in a salad bowl. Pour in dressing and toss.
- Divide salad among plates, top each salad with pears and blue cheese.
I used pomegranate molasses instead of honey and upped the sugar slightly. A refreshing salad to cheer upa winter day!
No fault of the recipe, but it dawned on me the other day that I don't care for the texture of pomegranate seeds although I love the flavor of pomegranate. Next time I would make sure to use a better quality bleu cheese instead of the sub-standard grocery store brand I used (what was I thinking?!) Good combination of flavors though. I didn't do the salad justice this time as I usually do using my normal salad making procedure of fresh *local* quality ingredients. Reviewed for Veg Tag October.