Prep 5 mins
Cook 20 mins
Slightly sweet and a little tart. But it's a change from your usual (tomato & cranberry sauce or ketchup & jelly meatball recipes). This recipe is gluten-free and casein-free. You can find pomegranate molasses at a local health food or gourmet food store. Or you can make your own by reducing pomegranate juice (plus a little sugar and lemon juice) over a medium flame for an hour. Serve over rice or noodles.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs ground beef
- 1 large onion
- 1 egg
- 1⁄4 cup cooked rice
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 1⁄8 cup pomegranate molasses
- 3⁄4 cup tomato sauce (or crushed tomatoes)
- 1⁄4 cup pine nuts
- salt and pepper (to taste)
- 1. Finely dice a quarter of the onion. Combine with beef, egg, rice, salt, and pepper. Mix and form into 1-2 inch meatballs. (You can also cheat and just use frozen meatballs.).
- 2. Chop the remaining onion into fine slices. Saute in olive oil in a large frying pan over medium flame. When softened, add pine nuts and allow to sear.
- 3. Lower flame to low-medium; add pomegranate molasses and tomato sauce. Allow to cook for a minute. Then add all the meatballs in a single layer to the sauce.
- 4. Cover the pan and allow to cook on medium-low for 5-6 minutes. Using tongs, flip the meatballs over and cook until done. (Time will vary depending on size of meatballs.).
- 5. Give it a stir before serving. Serve over rice or pasta. Garnish with parsley and additional pine nuts.