Recipe by evelyn/athens
In response to a recipe request.
Top Review by awalde
We really enjoyed this chicken with such a rich sauce. It was delicious.
I spent some time to prepare this dish because I had to open my walnuts from the garden. But it was a good decision to use them here as the chicken turned out tasty and moist.
As suggested I removed the skin and I suggest doing this with most of chicken curries.
Thanks again for posting soooo many great recipes!
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1⁄2 cup pomegranate molasses
- 2 cups coarsely ground walnuts
- 3 teaspoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1⁄4 teaspoon saffron (dissolved in 1 tblsp hot water)
- 4 -5 lbs fryer chickens or 4 -5 lbs duck, cut up
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine pomegranate molasses, ground walnuts, sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, turmeric, and saffron.
- Set aside.
- Clean chicken removing unnecessary bones and skin.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Place chopped onion and 3 tblsps olive oil in a pot and saute 3 minutes.
- Then add the chicken pieces, salt, pepper, and turmeric.
- Add 1 cup of water and simmer over low heat for 30 minutes.
- Add the pomegranate mixture and simmer on low heat for 30 minutes longer (check water and add some if it is necessary).
- Add a bit more sugar if you want the sauce sweeter.
- Transfer to a deep serving pot, cover, and place in a warm oven until ready to serve.
- Serve with rice.