Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
In response to a recipe request.
Make and share this Pomegranate Chicken or Duck recipe from Food.com.
- Combine pomegranate molasses, ground walnuts, sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, turmeric, and saffron.
- Set aside.
- Clean chicken removing unnecessary bones and skin.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Place chopped onion and 3 tblsps olive oil in a pot and saute 3 minutes.
- Then add the chicken pieces, salt, pepper, and turmeric.
- Add 1 cup of water and simmer over low heat for 30 minutes.
- Add the pomegranate mixture and simmer on low heat for 30 minutes longer (check water and add some if it is necessary).
- Add a bit more sugar if you want the sauce sweeter.
- Transfer to a deep serving pot, cover, and place in a warm oven until ready to serve.
- Serve with rice.
We really enjoyed this chicken with such a rich sauce. It was delicious.
I spent some time to prepare this dish because I had to open my walnuts from the garden. But it was a good decision to use them here as the chicken turned out tasty and moist.
As suggested I removed the skin and I suggest doing this with most of chicken curries.
Thanks again for posting soooo many great recipes!
We really enjoyed the blend of tart and sweet in this sauce! I used 4 chicken breasts instead of a whole chicken, and reduced the cooking time accordingly. The sauce was slightly too tart for us, and we may add more sugar in step 9 next time. I've tried a recipe similar to this before that used homemade pomegranate molasses from pomegranate juice, and I think the key to success with this recipe is to get pomegranate molasses (I used the Sultan brand), otherwise it will be way too sweet. Thanks for another great recipe Evelyn! Made for ZWT6.
Looking at the recipe technically ,it was fine. I had no difficulty following the directions and everything came together well. However, the flavor combination was not to my liking. I think the walnuts and pomegranate was a little too odd for me.