Prep 15 mins
Cook 2 hrs
Fragrant citrus & spices. This bread smells so good when it's cooking. I gave a loaf of this bread to my MIL; she said she made french toast out of it, then sprinkled it with a little Mexican chocolate and it was absolutely divine.
- 4 1⁄2 teaspoons active dry yeast
- 1 1⁄2 cups milk, divided
- 1⁄2 cup orange juice
- 1 cup apple juice
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1⁄4 cup honey
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 2 teaspoons orange zest
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 4 teaspoons ground coriander
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 3 cups whole wheat flour
- 4 1⁄2 cups white flour
- Dissolve yeast in 1/2 cup warm milk in a large bowl.
- Stir in the rest of the milk, orange juice, apple juice, salt, vegetable oil, honey, and egg.
- Mix orange rind, cinnamon, coriander, cloves, and ginger into whole wheat flour, and add mixture to liquid ingredients; stir.
- Stir in white flour gradually, until dough becomes difficult to stir.
- Turn out onto lightly floured surface and knead 10 minutes, adding only as much flour as needed to produce a dough that is smooth, elastic and just past the point of being sticky.
- Put in a large oiled bowl, and cover with plastic wrap.
- Allow to rise in a warm place until doubled in bulk (about 1 hour).
- Punch down, and divide in half to make 2 loaves.
- Place loaves in well-greased 9"x5"x3" pans, cover with a kitchen towel and let rise until doubled in volume (about 30 minutes).
- Pre-heat oven to 350F (375 at 6000').
- Bake bread in the center of the oven for 30-40 minutes, or until browned and hollow sounding when tapped (May have to cover with foil tent the last 10 minutes to prevent excessive browning).
- Remove from pans and place on rack to cool.
This is sooo yummy. It's a little dense thus the four stars but it is awesome nonetheless. Usually yeast breads of the sweet variety can be rather bland but not this one. It has all the flavor reserved most of the time for quick breads. Next time i'll try letting it rise a little longer and see if that makes a difference in the density.