Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
Appetizer from Simply Seafood by Vicki Emmons. This needs to sit in the refrigerator for 10-15 minutes and then gets deep fried and skewered onto toothpicks. It is served with warmed cutney as a dipping sauce.
- 1 lb scallops
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 1⁄2 cups coconut, grated, finely chopped in blender
- 3⁄4 cup chutney, chopped in blender
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- oil, to fry
- Cut scallops in half or quarters depending upon size.
- Dry with paper towels.
- Dredge in flour, dip in beaten egg, then roll in coconut.
- Let dry on waxed paper in the refrigerator for 10-15 minutes.
- While scallops are drying, heat chutney and butter in a small saucepan over low heat until butter is melted and mixture is heated through. Keep warm.
- In a deep skillet, heat 2 inches of oil to 375 degrees F. and fry the scallops a few at a time, until coconut is browned lightly, about 1 1/2 minutes.
- Drain on paper towels and keep warm until all are done.
- Serve on wooden toothpicks with warmed chutney sauce.
Excellent! We used bay scallops. I added salt and cayenne to the flour. The flavor was amazing! Tasted just like the coconut shrimp at the thai restaurant, but with scallops. They were so tender. Perfect :)