Prep 1 hr 15 mins
Cook 3 hrs
This recipe was in an old cookbook that I have misplaced. Thankfully, my sister saved her handwritten copy and I am now able to save my recipe on here. We have prepared many meals with this recipe, and sometimes we even throw in some potatoes and carrots to make a scrumptious one pot meal. Hope you enjoy it as much as we all do. I have included the first hour of marinating at room temperature as prep time.
- 3 -4 lbs pot roast
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms
- 1 cup unsweetened pineapple juice
- 1⁄4 cup soy sauce
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 large onion
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons water
- Place roast and mushrooms in large Dutch Oven.
- Combine pineapple juice, soy sauce, ginger and salt. Mix well and pour over roast.
- Let stand 1 hour at room temperature, turning once.
- Add sliced onion, place over high heat and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat, cover and simmer 2 1/2 to 3 hours or until roast is tender.
- Remove roast and vegetables to warm serving dish.
- Combine cornstarch and water, mixing well. Stir into pan drippings.
- Cook mixture over medium-high heat, stirring constantly until thickened and bubbly. Ladle sauce over roast.
Wow, this was a fantastic and tender roast, and so easy to prepare. I am glad I gave this recipe a try. I only wish I had thought to add a few quartered potatoes, because I think the juice that accumulates in the pot would have flavored the potatoes quite well. But we did have the cooked mushrooms and onions, which made for a great vegetable side dish. Thanks for sharing your recipe, Rita D. Made for Spring 2010 Pick-A-Chef.