Recipe by lets.eat
We love this recipe, got it from the Crisco cookbook back in 1987?. Hope you enjoy it as much as us. I always serve it with scalloped potatoes and broccoli with cheese sauce-on of our comfort foods
Top Review by UH60MTP13
I think there may be a reason why this recipe was hidden away to way back in 1987. While the meat did come out tender, most of the juice/sauce burnt on the meat and in the pan. There was very little flavor other than the burnt taste. And the sauce gravy was completely flavorless. A huge disappointment for a rather unhealthy recipe. There has to be better ones out there.
- 3 lbs beef roast
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 1⁄3 cup Crisco shortening
- 1 (8 ounce) can unsweetened pineapple slices
- 1⁄4 cup soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons firmly packed brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried basil
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1⁄4 cup cold water
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Coat meat on all sides with flour.
- In Dutch oven, brown meat in hot Crisco.
- Drain pineapple, reserving juice.
- Combine the juice, soy sauce, lemon juice, sugar, garlic, and basil.
- Add to meat in dutch oven.
- Cover; roast at 350 degrees for 2 hours or till meat is tender.
- Baste occasionally with the mixture.
- During the last 10 minutes, top with pineapple slices.
- Remove meat and pineapple tp warm platter.
- Skim off excess fat.
- Add enough water to pan drippings to make 2 cups liquid.
- Combine cornstarch and the cold water; stir into drippings.
- Cook and stir till thickened and bubbly.
- Drizzle meat with a little sauce; serve remaining sauce with meat.