Prep 20 mins
Cook 15 mins
Weight Watchers 7 points
- 1⁄3 cup ketchup
- 3 tablespoons low sodium soy sauce
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breast, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 tablespoon minced peeled fresh ginger
- 2 carrots, thinly sliced
- 1⁄2 lb snow peas, trimmed
- 1⁄4 cup slivered almonds
- 1 (8 ounce) can water chestnuts, drained
- 1 (8 ounce) can pineapple chunks in juice, drained
- In a bowl, combine the ketchup, soy sauce, sugar, vinegar, and cornstarch.
- Heat 2 teaspoons oil in a large nonstick skillet over med-high heat.
- Add in chicken; cook, stirring occasionally, until cooked through, 5-6 minutes; remove chicken from skillet and reserve.
- Add remaining 1 teaspoon oil, ginger, and carrots to the skillet; cook, stirring occasionally, until the carrots begin to soften, about 2 minutes.
- Stir in the snow peas, almonds, water chestnuts, pineapple, and reserved chicken.
- Cook, stirring often, 3-4 minutes; add the ketchup mixture; bring to a boil and cook, stirring constantly, until thickened, about 1 minute.
- Serve over brown rice or rice noodles.
This recipe is FANTASTIC. I'm a novice cook at best and my boyfriend hasn't stopped talking about it since! My only modification comment would be to add more ginger.
I prepared this dish for supper tonight and it was lovely. I doubled the sauce recipe and added a pinch of red pepper flakes to the sauce. It was easy to make and I had all the ingredients except the water chessnuts. I liked everything about this recipe, especially the fact that it had low sodium. Thanks for posting.