Prep 30 mins
Cook 45 mins
I have submitted this recipe as it was originally written however I prepare it slightly different. The original recipe calls for the marinade that the chicken was in to be used as the basting sauce but I am not comfortable with that. I double the marinade & after it has cooled I use 3/4 of the sauce to marinate the meat & reserve 1/4 of the marinade to use as the basting sauce while cooking. This marinade also works on pork. Prep times does not include marinating.
- 1⁄2 cup pineapple juice (unsweetened)
- 1⁄4 cup honey
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon grated fresh ginger (or 1 tsp. ground)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 12 chicken drumsticks or 12 chicken thighs (or a combination, approx. 3 lbs. or any other meaty chicken pieces)
- For marinade, in sauce pan combine pineapple juice, honey, worcestershire sauce, garlic, ginger& salt.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat.
- Simmer uncovered, stirring occasionally, about 15 minutes or until marinade mixture is reduced 1/4 (approx.).
- Cool to room temperature.
- Place chicken pieces in a plastic bag or shallow dish.
- Pour in marinade& marinate chicken at least 6 hours or up to 24 hours.
- Drain chicken pieces, reserving marinade.
- Cook chicken on covered medium heat grill (indirect heat) for 40 to 45 minutes or until chicken is tender& no longer pink, brushing occasionally with reserved marinade for the first 30 minutes.
Very delicious. The chicken was tender and tasty. I marinated skinless chicken breast for 24 hours and reduced the cooking time. I served this with masses of mixed steamed vegetables (including some thinly sliced sweet potato) into which I added 1 cup of cooked brown rice, one small can of chopped pineapple and the juice and the leftover (separated) glaze. I would serve the chicken that way again as the flavours where wonderful together. Thanks!