Recipe by Nanette62
I have submitted this recipe as it was originally written however I prepare it slightly different. The original recipe calls for the marinade that the chicken was in to be used as the basting sauce but I am not comfortable with that. I double the marinade & after it has cooled I use 3/4 of the sauce to marinate the meat & reserve 1/4 of the marinade to use as the basting sauce while cooking. This marinade also works on pork. Prep times does not include marinating.
Top Review by dale!
Very delicious. The chicken was tender and tasty. I marinated skinless chicken breast for 24 hours and reduced the cooking time. I served this with masses of mixed steamed vegetables (including some thinly sliced sweet potato) into which I added 1 cup of cooked brown rice, one small can of chopped pineapple and the juice and the leftover (separated) glaze. I would serve the chicken that way again as the flavours where wonderful together. Thanks!
- 1⁄2 cup pineapple juice (unsweetened)
- 1⁄4 cup honey
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon grated fresh ginger (or 1 tsp. ground)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 12 chicken drumsticks or 12 chicken thighs (or a combination, approx. 3 lbs. or any other meaty chicken pieces)
Directions See How It's Made
- For marinade, in sauce pan combine pineapple juice, honey, worcestershire sauce, garlic, ginger& salt.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat.
- Simmer uncovered, stirring occasionally, about 15 minutes or until marinade mixture is reduced 1/4 (approx.).
- Cool to room temperature.
- Place chicken pieces in a plastic bag or shallow dish.
- Pour in marinade& marinate chicken at least 6 hours or up to 24 hours.
- Drain chicken pieces, reserving marinade.
- Cook chicken on covered medium heat grill (indirect heat) for 40 to 45 minutes or until chicken is tender& no longer pink, brushing occasionally with reserved marinade for the first 30 minutes.