A skillet dish with chicken, rice and coconut. The original calls for boneless chicken breast, but I prefer chicken thighs.
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1⁄3 cup onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 2 cups water
- 1 1⁄2 cups long grain white rice, uncooked
- 4 boneless skinless chicken thighs, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen chopped spinach, thawed and thoroughly drained
- 1⁄3 cup unsweetened dried shredded coconut
- In a large, deep skillet with lid, over medium-high heat, melt the butter.
- Stir in the onion and garlic, and cook 2 minutes.
- Mix in the coconut milk, water, rice, and chicken, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer 20 minutes, until rice is tender and chicken is cooked through.
- Stir the spinach into the skillet, and cook just until heated through.
- Sprinkle with coconut.
I really enjoyed this and thought it was very tasty. Next time I make I might add a little heat.
This is a good basic dish with subtle coconut flavor. I loved the addition of spinach to the dish. I'm not familiar with authentic Polynesian food, and this may be an outstanding example of the cuisine. However, living in Texas, I'm used to bold and spicy flavors. So for my taste, this was rather bland.