Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 20 mins
Cook 35 mins
A low-guilt sweet treat that my hippie mother made all the time. So good, most people don't guess they're not terrible for you.
- Combine filling ingredients in a medium saucepan and bring to low boil, stirring frequently to prevent scorching. Continue to stir/cook until mixture reaches a thick consistency and the dates have absorbed the juice.
- Remove from heat and set aside to cool slightly.
- Then, in a medium-large bowl, combine ingredients for the crust. Once mixed fully, it will be crumbly, but slightly sticky.
- Press about half of the crust mixture into a 9x13 inch pan. Top with the filling, then crumble the remainder of the crust mixture atop the filling.
- Bake in an oven preheated to 350 degrees for 30-40 minutes. Allow to cool thoroughly before cutting.
Sooooooo NICE! These bars are really great, & a nice change from the usual, what with the use of whole wheat flour! I liked the combination of dates & pineapple in the filling, as well as the coconut & OJ in the crust. Got to admit that I added about 1/2 tablespoon of finely minced orange zest, but that was my only contribution! Many thanks!