Recipe by VNess
A low-guilt sweet treat that my hippie mother made all the time. So good, most people don't guess they're not terrible for you.
Top Review by Sydney Mike
Sooooooo NICE! These bars are really great, & a nice change from the usual, what with the use of whole wheat flour! I liked the combination of dates & pineapple in the filling, as well as the coconut & OJ in the crust. Got to admit that I added about 1/2 tablespoon of finely minced orange zest, but that was my only contribution! Many thanks!
- 2 cups chopped dates
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- 2 1⁄2 cups crushed pineapple (about 1 can)
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 cup coconut
- 1⁄2 cup chopped pecans
- 3 cups rolled oats
- 1 cup orange juice
- 1⁄4 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄4 cup oil
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine filling ingredients in a medium saucepan and bring to low boil, stirring frequently to prevent scorching. Continue to stir/cook until mixture reaches a thick consistency and the dates have absorbed the juice.
- Remove from heat and set aside to cool slightly.
- Then, in a medium-large bowl, combine ingredients for the crust. Once mixed fully, it will be crumbly, but slightly sticky.
- Press about half of the crust mixture into a 9x13 inch pan. Top with the filling, then crumble the remainder of the crust mixture atop the filling.
- Bake in an oven preheated to 350 degrees for 30-40 minutes. Allow to cool thoroughly before cutting.