Recipe by helowy
A traditional Mexican recipe that my friend Fay gave me.
Top Review by YRthesmokedetectorsringin
I forgot to give this recipe the 5 stars it earned. I make mine just like this-but I leave out the orange zest, sometimes I make them with a tablespoon of cocoa. This recipe for my favorite pan dulce is great.
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable shortening
- 1⁄2 cup butter (do not use margarine)
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 2 large egg yolks, only
- 1⁄4 cup orange juice
- 2 oranges, zest of
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- powdered sugar, to taste
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 400^F.
- In a large bowl, beat shortening and butter until fluffy.
- Add sugar a little bit at a time.
- Add egg yolks, orange juice, and peel.
- Stir in flour with spatula.
- On a floured surface, roll out the dough to 3/4". Cut out 2 1/2" circles and place them on a greased baking sheet. Roll the dough scraps and continue to roll until all the dough is used.
- Bake for 25 minutes. Be careful not to overcook them--they are done when they are barely starting to tan.
- Transfer to a rack to cool.
- Sprinkle with powdered sugar through a fine sieve.