1/1 Photo of Polvorones - Mexican Cookies
1 hr 30 mins
These pretty little cookies have the flavor of orange, butter and walnut. The powdered sugar balances with a touch of sea salt. I ate cookie after cookie all in the name of being able to write this recipe introduction- or at least that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it. Wrapped in colored tissue paper makes them a perfect way to celebrate Cinco de Mayo. From Williams Sonoma Mexican
My Private Note
dozen c ...
Units: US | Metric
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1/2 cup vegetable shortening
- 2 1/2 cups sifted sifted confectioners' sugar (icing, very important that it is sifted)
- 1 teaspoon finely grated orange zest (next time I'll add 1/4 tsp. more)
- 1 tablespoon orange juice
- 2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup ground walnuts
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1In a bowl, using an electric mixer on medium speed, beat together the butter and shortening until creamy. Add 1 1/2 cups of the confectioners' sugar, the orange zest, and the orange juice and beat until blended.
- 2In another bowl, stir together the flour, nuts, and sea salt. Add the flour mixture 1 tablespoon at a time to the butter mixture, beating until thoroughly incorporated. The dough will be crumbly. Transfer the dough to a large sheet of plastic wrap and press the dough into a ball. Wrap and then refrigerate for 1 - 2 hours.
- 3Position a rack in the upper third of the oven and preheat the oven to 325°F Line a baking sheet with parchment (baking) paper or with a silicone baking mat.
- 4Using your hands, roll or squeeze small pieces of the dough into 3/4-inch (2cm) balls. Place the balls on the prepared baking sheet, spacing them about 1 inch (2.5 cm) apart and gently pressing them to flatten slightly.
- 5Bake the cookies until the eges turn pale gold, 10-15 minutes (my oven takes slightly longer).
- 6Meanwhile, place the remaining 1 cup confectioners' sugar in a shallow bowl. When the cookies are ready, remove the baking sheet from the oven. While they are still hot, using a spatula, remove the cookies one at a time and carefully roll them in the sugar. Set aside on a rack and let cool completely, then roll them again in the sugar, shaking off any excess.
- 7Serve the cookies at once, or layer between sheets of parchment paper in an airtight container and store at room temperature for up to 3 days.
Browse Our Top Hand-Formed Cookies Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Hand-Formed Cookies Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Polvorones - Mexican Cookies
Serving Size: 1 (838 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1384.8
- Calories from Fat 696
- Total Fat 77.3 g
- Saturated Fat 30.5 g
- Cholesterol 81.3 mg
- Sodium 201.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 166.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.5 g
- Sugars 99.0 g
- Protein 11.6 g