1/1 Photo of Polvorones de Chocolate (Mexican Chocolate Cookies)
1 hr 5 mins
Kim D.'s Note:
I found this recipe in a Mexican cooking magazine called "Panaderia Mexicana Tradicional". The recipe was originally written in Spanish and the measurements were in grams. I translated the recipe into English and converted the measurements to accomodate the American kitchen. Living in Texas, we have a lot of Mexican bakeries! I love going into the panaderia by the farmer's market. I love Mexican pastries because they are not too sweet. This cookie is one of my favorites!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour, plus
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 2 1/4 cups powdered sugar, plus
- 2 tablespoons powdered sugar
- 1 1/4 cups vegetable shortening, plus
- 2 tablespoons vegetable shortening
- 2 eggs
- 2 tablespoons cocoa
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- granulated sugar, for rolling
- 1Combine all ingredients in a mixing bowl.
- 2Blend well.
- 3Cover dough and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- 4Preheat oven to 350°F.
- 5Scoop about two tablespoons of dough, roll into a large ball, then roll in granulated sugar.
- 6Place ball of dough onto a baking sheet.
- 7Flatten ball with the palm of your hand to about 1/4-inch thick.
- 8Sprinkle a little extra sugar on top.
- 9Repeat process with the rest of the dough, placing them 2-inches apart once flattened.
- 10Bake for 15-20 minutes.
- 11Make sure you not over bake!
- 12Remove cookies from oven and leave on cookie sheet for 5 minutes, before transfering to a wire rack to cool completely.
Browse Our Top Hand-Formed Cookies Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Hand-Formed Cookies Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Polvorones de Chocolate (Mexican Chocolate Cookies)
Serving Size: 1 (75 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 13
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 373.4
- Calories from Fat 204
- Total Fat 22.7 g
- Saturated Fat 6.5 g
- Cholesterol 28.6 mg
- Sodium 67.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 39.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.7 g
- Sugars 21.6 g
- Protein 3.4 g