Recipe by strangelittlebeast
Crumbly Mexican peanut cookies.Use roasted peanuts that have not been salted,remove the papery skin ,and grind in a spice mill or coffee grinderThey should be a powder,more or less uniform ,but a few pieces add texture.Peanut butter cannot be substituted.Yield is aprox.
- 1⁄2 cup butter, room temperature
- 1⁄2 cup lard, room temperature or 1⁄2 cup additional butter
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3 cups flour
- 1⁄2 cup peanuts, toasted, skinned, and ground
- 3 tablespoons peanuts, roasted and finely chopped (optional)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 f.
- Beat the butter and lard together.Add the sugar,salt,and vanilla and beat until light and fluffy .
- Add the flour,peanuts,and baking powder,mix well.The dough will probably be crumbly.Add water,a sponful at the time until the dough comes together.
- Turn dough out onto a well floured surface.Roll to 1/4 " thick and cut into rounds.
- Place on an ungreased cookie sheet,spacing about 1 1/2 inches apart and bake for 10-12 minutes,turning the cookie sheet around halfway through.The cookies should be a light golden brown around the edges.
- Remove to a rack and dust generously with powdered sugar.Let cool completely before serving.