Prep 20 mins
Cook 10 mins
Found this on the Food Network and they sound wonderful and very different. However, I did increase the amount of meat in this recipe. The meatball ingredients are mixed, then rolled into balls and a small piece of fresh mozzarella is tucked inside before frying. Great for adding to tomato sauce when making pasta.
- 3 slices day-old white bread, crusts removed
- 1 cup milk
- 1 bunch fresh parsley, finely chopped
- 1 minced garlic clove
- 8 ounces ground beef
- 8 ounces ground pork
- 2 eggs
- 2 ounces grated parmesan cheese
- salt and black pepper, to taste
- 3 ounces fresh mozzarella balls, chopped in small pieces
- 1 cup unseasoned breadcrumbs
- extra virgin olive oil, for frying
- In a small bowl, place the bread; cover with milk and leave to soak.
- Chop parsley and garlic together.
- Squeeze milk out of the bread and add to meat along with parsley and garlic in a large mixing bowl.
- Mix ingredients together, then add eggs and mix again.
- Add Parmesan cheese and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Shape meatballs, make a hole in the top and insert a small piece of mozarella.
- Cover over mozzarella, then roll meatballs in bread crumbs.
- Fry in heated olive oil for 5 minutes, then turn over.
- When golden brown and crusty on both sides, remove from pan and drain on paper towels.
- Add meatballs to your favorite tomato sauce and cook very slowly for 45 minutes on low heat.
My friends eat these up as they come out of the pan, before I'm done frying the whole batch.