Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is a fast and easy Italian soup. From Mark Bittman.
- 1 slice white bread (thick slice)
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 6 cups beef stock or 6 cups chicken stock
- 1 cup orzo pasta or 1 cup other small shell pasta
- 1 lb ground sirloin
- 1⁄2 cup onion, chopped
- 1 cup fresh parmesan cheese, grated
- 1⁄2 cup parsley, chopped
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 3 carrots, shredded
- Soak the bread in the milk for about 4 or 5 minutes, until soggy.
- Bring a pot of water to boil and cook pasta until done. Drain and rinse.
- Heat stock.
- Squeeze the bread to get out the extra milk.
- Combine the meat, onion, half the cheese and half the parsley. add sallt and pepper.
- Shape into 1-inch meatballs.
- Season stock and add the carrots.
- Gently lower meatballs into stock and simmer for about 10, until carrots are tender.
- Add orzo and cook for 2 more minutes.
- Adjust seasoning and sprinkle with remaining parmesan cheese.
This soup is so delicious! All I added was some Italian seasoning and some extra dried oregano. OUTSTANDING RECIPE!!