Top Review by Cathyann
These MEATBALLS are AWESOME! I followed the recipe exactly as stated except (NO PINE NUTS DUE TO AN ALLERGY) and instead of frying, I baked them in a 350 degree oven for 20 minutes. Then simmered them in marinara sauce for about an hour or so, and the result was the best meatballs I have ever made. This will be my meatball recipe from now on. Thank you for posting it.
- 3 cups day old bread, cut into 1 inch cubes
- 1 1⁄4 lbs ground beef
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 3⁄4 cup grated pecorino cheese
- 1⁄4 cup finely chopped Italian parsley
- 1⁄4 cup pine nuts, baked for 8 minutes in a 400 degree oven
- 1⁄2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1⁄4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 1⁄2 cups basic tomato sauce (Basic Tomato Sauce)
Directions See How It's Made
- In a shallow bowl, soak the bread cubes in water to cover for a minute or two.
- Drain the bread cubes and squeeze with your fingers to press out the excess moisture (make sure you do this well).
- In a large bowl, combine the bread cubes, beef, eggs, garlic, pecorino, parsley, toasted pine nuts, salt and pepper, and mix with your hands to incorporate.
- With wet hands, form the mixture into 12-15 meatballs, each smaller than a tennis ball, but larer than a golf ball.
- In a large, heavy-bottomed skillet, heat the oil over medium heat until almost smoking.
- Add the meatballs and, working in batches if necessary to avoid overcrowding the pan, cook until deep golden brown on all sides, about 10 minutes.
- Add the tomato sauce and reduce the heat to a simmer.
- Cook all the meatballs for 30 minutes.
- Set aside and allow to cool; save the sauce for another use.